Two of the innovative projects awarded in the second edition of the Pediatric Innovation Day, a day promoted by the i4KIDS Hub and supported by ABG Intellectual Property, are an electric walker to support children with cerebral palsy to stand and move independently and a test that can predict whether a child’s fever is a sign of a minor or serious and life-threatening infection.
The Sant Joan de Déu (SJD) Barcelona Children’s Hospital organised the event, which took place on 21 September at the Museum of Cosmocaixa Science in Barcelona. It gathered professionals from the paediatrics and maternity innovation area who attended several presentations and a round table discussion on the innovation challenges in European Hospitals.
Pediatric Innovation Awards
In addition to the scientific and academical part of the Pediatric Innovation Day, there has been another part in which innovative projects have been awarded in two categories:
- i4KIDS Start, which provides funding to an innovative project in its early stages of development.
- i4KIDS Contest, which rewards three existing proyects with the goal of triggering their commercial availability.
More than 70 projects were submitted in this edition, and the six finalists had the opportunity to showcase them to the audience. The winners were chosen by a jury comprised of industry and investment executives, entrepreneurs, and patient organisations.
The winners were:
– i4KIDS Start: a tool being developed by ISGLOBAL to predict in ten minutes whether a child’s fever will lead to a major and life-threatening infection in ten minutes.
– i4KIDS Contest:
- “Roo-walk“, an electric walker for children with cerebral palsy
- “Nido“, a postural control system for premature babies
- “Nen Health“, a platform that uses play to assist children with cancer to better manage their discomfort
Support from ABG IP
Enric Carbonell, the partner in charge of our Barcelona office, participated in the awards ceremony.
However, in addition to recognising the winners, ABG Intellectual Property want to encourage the remaining competitors to carry on with their initiatives. We will thus contribute by offering applicants advice on intellectual property, given that this is a crucial tool for the development of their projects and its introduction to the market.