The European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) has published the 2023 call for grants from the Ideas powered for business SME Fund. The initiative was launched in 2021 thanks to “a joint effort between the EUIPO, the European Commission and EU national IP offices in response to the challenges faced by European SMEs due to the COVID-19 pandemic“.
To summarize, the most significant changes this year are:
- Grants for EU trademarks and designs up to 1000€.
- The call will be open from 23 January through 8 December 2023
Who can benefit from SME Fund?
The grants are designed for companies that fit the SME definition of the European Commission that can be found by clicking here.
The main indicators would be:
- 250 workers or less
- turnover equal to or less than 50 M€
- balance sheet equal to or less than €43 M
What is eligible?
- Trademarks and designs:
- Protection of trademarks and designs in the EU (at national, regional and EU level)
- Protection of trademarks and designs outside the EU under the international trademark system (The Madrid System) or the international design system (The Hague System).
How much is the grant?
Each SME is eligible for aid of up to € 1000, but there are limits:
- Trademarks and designs:
- EU brands and designs up to 75%
- Applications submitted under the Madrid or Hague system: up to 50%
How can I apply?
The grants are not retroactive, that means that they must be requested prior to the corresponding procedures before the industrial and intellectual property office:
- Apply for the grant
- The Patent Office evaluates the application and notifies its assessment. This period will last for a maximum of 10 working days.
- If the grant is approved, apply for registration of the trademark(s) and/or design(s). At least one of them must have been requested within four months (extendable to six) of the notification of approval.
- Request a refund for the amount of the grant obtained
When to apply for Ideas powered for business Fund grants?
The call will remain open from 23 January to 8 December 2023 and that the fund Ideas powered for business is endowed with 25 million euros.
It should be borne in mind that funds are limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
If the available budget have been used, the call will be closed.
A guide for applicants written by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) can be found by clicking here.
You can also access to the official information website by clicking here.
Any specific questions related to this call should be addressed to the EUIPO Information Centre at: email@example.com or call directly at +34 96 513 9100